Environmental Technology is an area of application for the technical competence at Northern Research Institute Narvik, rather than a separate technical discipline. We have worked with pollution remediation, waste valorisation and renewable energy long before these areas found the terms of cleantech, circular economy and low-carbon.
Some of the activities at Northern Research Institute Narvik within Environmental Technology are:
- Renewable Energy – more information here
- Waste valorisation
- Recovery of hydrofluoric acid from solar cell industry wastewater, using reverse osmosis membrane technology.
- Valorisation of the wet organic fraction of municipal solid waste (OF-MSW)
- A study of options for valorisation of organic waste in Democratic Republic of Congo, see summary here.
- Value creation from Spent Brewers Grain
- The Infrastructure, Materials and Constructions group at NORUT Narvik has projects investigating the recycling of concrete.
- The Kolarctic SEESIMA project has work packages investigating the use of tailings from mining industry.